DJI has introduced that it has acquired the first-ever C1 drone certificates for its Mavic 3 drone collection that permits them to be flown within the new A1 Open Air Class with out first having to go the complicated and costly A2 Distant Piloting License examination.
In early 2021, the European Union Avaiation Security Company (EASA) handed a set of drone laws that centralized and blanketed the entire of the European Union (along with Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and the UK) beneath one algorithm.
A part of these guidelines broke drones into three subcategories: A1, A2, and A3. A1 drones are those who weigh lower than 250 grams and had been allowed to be flown over individuals. A2 drones weigh greater than 250 grams, however lower than two kilograms, and subsequently have to be flown no less than 50 meters away from individuals. A3 drones weigh greater than two kilograms and have to be flown “properly away” from individuals.
Moreover, A2 drone pilots had been required to go the Distant Pilot Licensing examination to indicate “proof of competence” which value as a lot as 230 euro (or $230). However as reported by DPReview, German-based analysis and testing facility TÜV Rheinland has granted DJI Mavic 3 drones the C1 certificates, which suggests pilots are not required to go that examination with the intention to function the drone in sure areas.
That is the world’s first C1 EU-type examination certificates for drones beneath the brand new European Drone Regulation.
In its announcement, DJI explains the distinction between working with and with no C1 certification:
|Working Space||Operational Restrictions||Pilot Competence|
|With C1 certificates and C1-compliant firmware (flying within the A1 Open Class to any extent further and after 31 December 2023)||– No flying over uninvolved individuals (if it occurs, ought to be minimized)
– No flying over assemblies of individuals
|– Learn person handbook
– Get hold of A1/A3 “Proof of Competence” primary drone certificates by taking an officially-recognized theoretical on-line examination with no limitations on makes an attempt earlier than passing
|With out C1 certificates and with out C1-compliant firmware (flying within the A2 Open Class till 31 December 2023; or within the A3 Open Class after 1 January 2024)||– No flying over uninvolved individuals
– Retaining a minimal 50 m horizontal distance from individuals till 31 December 2023
– After 1 January 2024, flying in areas free from individuals and 150 meters horizontal distance or extra away from properties
|– Learn person handbook
– Get hold of A2 “Distant Piloting License” by taking an officially- acknowledged theoretical on-line examination, and declaring self-practical coaching. When failing, the client has to reapply for the examination with attainable extra prices concerned
The Mavic 3 collection is C1-certified praise with the next 4 obligatory modifications to its firmware:
- The Mavic 3 collection meets the brand new noise discount degree of 83db.
- When the ActiveTrack Clever Flight Mode is used to movie individuals or objects, the space from the particular person/object shall be restricted to 50 m. Past 50 m, ActiveTrack shall be disabled.
- The Auxiliary LEDs shall be turned on or off mechanically throughout use, primarily based on the precise setting, and
- The LEDs on the entrance arms of the drone will blink by default at some point of the UAV being powered on.
These modifications are energetic every time any C1-certified Mavic 3 collection drone is flown within the European Financial Space (EEA). DJI says that the applying for acquiring the brand new C1 class identification label for Mavic 3 drones shall be obtainable to all homeowners beginning within the fourth quarter of 2022. Customers will be capable to request it voluntarily and it will likely be offered for gratis. DJI says the method will simply require homeowners to offer their drone serial quantity and affirmation that they’ve up to date to the firmware wanted to acquire C1 certification.
DJI says that when the C1 software course of has been launched, all future firmware updates of the Mavic 3 collection will embrace the technical modifications required by the C1 certificates and can’t be reversed.